Feel what it is like to take the controls and fly!


A Trial Instructional Flight (TIF) is generally about 30 minutes under the close supervision of a professionally trained flying instructor.


What to expect:

  1.  Tour of our facilities 

  2.  Hands-on preflight inspection

  3.  Basic explanation of the aircraft instruments and  controls

  4.  Guided lesson on how to taxi the aircraft

  5.  Flying the aircraft under the guidance of your  instructor

  6.  Your 30 minutes can be logged and counted  towards a pilot licence

  7.  Debrief on completion

  8.  Opportunity for you to ask further questions


The recreational pilot certificate (RPC) is for pilots who would like to fly 2 seat aircraft for recreational pleasure. The RPC only requires the medical standard to be equal to that required to drive a motor vehicle, making it more achievable for some pilots. 

The minimum training required is 20 hours, however most student pilots take on average 30 -35 hours. Once issued the RPC will allow the holder to fly within 25 nm of the departure aerodrome. An optional navigation endorsement is available if you wish to fly beyond 25nm.

If you later decide to upgrade to a CASA licence, your hours in recreational aircraft count towards a CASA licence to fly larger general aviation aircraft. Many pilots who started off with recreational aviation are now flying in the airlines and the military.  


The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) require a minimum of 25 hours flying time before you can progress to a Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL).


In practice most students require between 30-40 hours of flight training before they are ready to undertake the RPL flight test.


Having obtained your RPL you are permitted to fly “in command” (without an instructor) within the flying training area. This area encompasses coastal areas of Port Macquarie. 


On receiving your RPL you are now permitted to carry passengers on most of your flights – be it “in command” or under instruction.


To obtain your Private Pilot Licence (PPL) you will undertake navigational training exercises over approximately 20 hours of flight time. You will fly to many locations as part of your training.

CASA requires a minimum of 40 hours total flying time before you can sit your PPL flight test. In practice most students require approximately 55-56 hours of total flight time to be adequately prepared for the PPL flight test.


With your PPL you can fly anywhere in Australia, and most places in the world!


A Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) is essential if you wish to obtain work as a pilot.


Many students with no aspirations of becoming a “commercial pilot” elect to obtain their CPL. There are a number of reasons why - GST free flying up to 150 hours, including recreational flying, all of your flying as a Private Pilot can be counted towards a CPL, increased flying proficiency and knowledge, making you a more experienced pilot.  


A number of ratings and endorsements can be included within the 150 hours, there is no set time period to obtain a CPL, do it at your own pace.


Whatever the motivation, a Commercial Pilot Licence is worth considering. To be entitled to undertake the 150 hour course you need to inform us of your intention to train towards a CPL in the early hours of your training. Students that have obtained their Private Pilot Licence (PPL) often accumulate the required 150 hours by exploring the countryside with friends and family.


Obtaining ratings and endorsements including night rating, multi-engine rating, command instrument rating, aerobatic approval and others also help build the required fight time. Your Commercial Pilot Licence may be your career pathway to our Charter Business.